Date: 2022 10th November
Fight against exclusion
- To know and support the educational, pastoral and transforming work of the Itaka-Escolapios network, to be jointly responsible for its mission and to contribute to cover the ordinary expenses that allow its viability.
- To highlight, review and encourage the transforming character of the Piarist centres, also offering EDUCA, as a network of support and connection of educational centres for social transformation.
- To contribute by sensitising children from 12 to 15 years of age in our centres to carry out the proposed campaign, so that they can take steps forward to become more Piarist and transformative centres, in line with the proposal of the Global Education Pact, which invites us to listen to the younger generations in order to build a dignified life for all.
- To facilitate the understanding and necessity of these projects and missions, presenting volunteering as a way of life.
- To introduce and explain the importance of welcoming all people, minimising differences and highlighting similarities.
Duration: approximately 2 sessions of 45 minutes
The main development theme is the reception of migrants from Senegal. We want the students to learn about this situation and to relate it to the need for this year's solidarity campaign.
We use the Feel - Imagine - Change format to create the activity and make it easy for young people to understand. In each of the stages we will do the following:
Feel: Short film "Binta and the great idea"
First of all, we will watch the short film in its original version with subtitles at the following lin
You can consult the synopsis in Annex 1 so that, once you have read it, you can give a brief introduction to help your students understand the short film.
Imagine: Video Forum
Afterwards, we will have a guided discussion in which we will express our opinion about the short film and answer the following questions:
- Do you think the film adopts sides on the given issue or does it expose it without taking a position on it?
- What did you feel when you saw the film? Try to identify the sensations you felt.
- Have you identified with the victim(s)?
- Do you think that what appears in the film is something that happens today? How? In which way do you see it?
Change: The letter
Finally, students will be invited to analyse the reality of people who have to leave their homeland and live in a country that is not their own. They can consult the project files linked to the express yourself mission (see annexes). They will discuss some of the situations they are experiencing based on the question "Do you think it's fair?.
After the conclusions, it is proposed that they write a letter to the mayor's office, presidency, management, etc. explaining what is happening and if they can think of a solution to change it.
We propose to include it in the subject of Spanish Language or Social Sciences, in order to make it a transversal activity and to be able to include it in the classroom programme.
Esta actividad se propone en el marco de la Campaña de solidaridad 2022-23